Monday, June 16, 2008

All Things Google




Yesterday, June 16, in my emerging instructional technologies class, we learned about different tools that Google has to offer.

The first thing I learned was how much the simple Google search has to offer. It can be used as a spellchecker, to find synonyms, and as a calculator. These would be very useful in class. Especially if each student had their own computer.

Another useful google tool was google.com/mobile. Through mobile devices, like cell phones, students can find locations and do searches. Although my elementary students may not have many uses for this, it is amazing to think of high schoolers using these tools! (Most have the tool anyway.)


I also learned how to use Google Docs, Forms and Pages. This lets you collaborate at the same time or different time as other members. Google Pages lets you create web pages. This would be great for WebQuests. It would also work to have a class newsletter that students could contribute to.

I have never explored Google before, but I am anxious to pass these ideas on to other teachers.

No comments: