Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Podcasting

Well I am actually going to do one more post today. Boy my mind has been busy today!

I want to talk a little about some of the new to me technologies we learned today.

First, a couple of classmates demonstrated VoiceThread. This was one of the first technologies that I thought immediately I could use with my students. I thought about using it with the third grade trip we take every year to learn about the history of Waterloo. The students could comment on the pictures we take. I could then show this to the next class as a preview. Wow! I also thought it would be a neat center. Students could comment on writing that was done by other students.

The other technology we learned about was podcasting. I'd never heard of podcasting before this week. This is great for the auditory learners. I am more of a visual person so I find it hard to learn using a podcast, but for many of my students it would be a new way to learn. I also thought it would be a neat way for them to record themselves reading. They could then listen to themselves back to help increase their fluency.

I have to admit, I have never used iTunes. From the conversations around me I have gathered it is an online store to download music and podcasts. I am hoping that the podcasts are free, because I would like to try it later tonight.

Today I felt I was a little out of my league. Several classmates seemed to have a better handle on this new technology than I do. It is one of the first times that I can see how some of my students must feel. I also know that being able to collaborate with my classmates and having them helped me made my learning experience more positive. I need to remember this next fall and allow my students more time just to help each other. After all, they are more the experts on many things!

Well I think I am going to go try iTunes now.
-Angi

2 comments:

Kevin Moore said...

Angie,

I know what you feel like as far as being out of your league. I have felt like that ever since I started this class. I felt like I was drowning and there was no one to through me a rope. I just need to focus on the technology that I feel I will use.

I thought are classmates did a nice job introducing us to voicethreading today. Although I can't as of yet think of a use for my class, I would like to introduce this to the Social Studies teachers in my building. I think they would find it of great use.

Have a great rest of the week!

Kevin

Dr. Z said...

Sounds like you really confronted the new tech and made it work!!!

Good for you!!!

Z