Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Blogging Assignment about Multiplie Discussions

Before I begin my thoughts on multiple avenues for chatting, I want to send my best wishes to those affected by the floods. As someone who has loved ones that have lost their house, I am thankful for all the help and compassion being shown.

Last Thursday night, June 5, my class held a discussion. This online discussion was unique because it was being held across three venues, a chat room, mebeam, and secondlife. I found it hard to follow a linear conversation. There were several side conversations going on in each venue. Digital Natives would have an easier time with this multi-tasking. I however, am a very linear person and found myself getting confused and perhaps a little frustrated.

I do have a little pride that I was able to attempt all three. You do need the right equipment (microphones, speakers, cameras, high-speed internet, sound cards, video cards, and lots of other equipment I can't even comprehend) to make it the most successful. If you have the right equipment, I could see mebeam being benefically the most because you can have images and sound.

Deb, another student in my EIT class also tried to use all three. She saw some value in using mebeam and chat. She said in her blog, "As far as an aspect of distance learning, chatting and mebeam are a couple of venues which make it possible for individuals from a large geographical area to come together and share thoughts at one time. "

It was a great experience that encouraged me that I was more capable than I previously thought!

I am off to do more sandbagging.

No comments: